Pale white-gold, bright and clean. Fresh lemon, nice florals and apricot on the nose, with some tropical fruit (associated with white grapefruit, mostly). Shows a lot more peach and pear as it opens up, some flinty minerality as well.
The palate is smooth with medium weight, citrusy acidity and an elevated golden delicious apple note on the finish.
- 100% from Intersection picked October 12, 2022 - an unusually warm mid-September to mid-October helped push development, but this vintage was late to start, rainy in spring and cooler than average all summer.
- All Viognier except for sparkling in 2022 was crushed and destemmed into press to enhance structure and aromatics by improving skin contact.
- The base of this Viognier is done in stainless steel (60%), then the remaining barrel component is made up of 40% Nadalie French Oak Perle Blanche--our first new puncheon ordered for Viognier--and the favourite neutral oak barriques from 2010.
- We also used a different yeast for the puncheon, ICV-D47, which we've historically used for our Pinot Blanc, the remaining barriques, neutral puncheons and tanks used our classic Rhone 4600 yeast. There were very few solids in the puncheon because I filled it by siphoning from the tank, so it did not have batonnage like the other barriques and puncheons. Varying the oak treatments and lees management allowed us to create more texture and aromatic complexity from Viognier that came in heavy in a cooler/wetter year, so was less developed than usual.